Main Article Content
obesity, pharmacotherapy, bariatric surgery
The objective of supplement #2 is to focus on treatment with topics including pharmacotherapy, bariatric surgery, and the challenges with obesity as a chronic disease and weight regain. The format of this section will be case-based and aims to deliver the evidence in a narrative way that leverages the authors’ and editors’ extensive clinical experience.
1. Obesity Canada. Canadian Adult Clinical Practice Guidelines. Obesity Canada. Accessed Nov 15, 2022. Available at: https://obesitycanada.ca/guidelines/chapters
2. Pi-Sunyer X et al. SCALE Obesity and Prediabetes NN8022-1839 Study Group. A Randomized, Controlled Trial of 3.0 mg of Liraglutide in Weight Management. N Engl J Med. 2015 Jul 2;373(1):11–22. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1411892. PMID: 26132939.
3. Wilding JPH et al; STEP 1 Study Group. Once-Weekly Semaglutide in Adults with Overweight or Obesity. N Engl J Med. 2021 Mar 18;384(11):989–1002. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa2032183. Epub 2021 Feb 10. PMID: 33567185.
4. Greenway FL et al; COR-I Study Group. Effect of naltrexone plus bupropion on weight loss in overweight and obese adults (COR-I): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2010 Aug 21;376(9741):595–605. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(10)60888-4. Epub 2010 Jul 29. Erratum in: Lancet. 2010 Aug 21;376(9741):594. Erratum in: Lancet. 2010 Oct 23;376(9750):1392. PMID: 20673995.
1. Biertho L, Hong D, Gagner M. Canadian Adult Obesity Clinical Practice Guidelines: Bariatric Surgery: Surgical Options and Outcomes. Available from: https://obesitycanada.ca/guidelines/surgeryoptions. Accessed Nov 15th 2022
2. Eisenberg D, Shikora SA, Aarts E, et al. 2022 American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) and International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO): Indications for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Surge Obesity Relat Dis 18 (2022) 1345–1356. Available at: https://www.soard.org/article/S1550-7289(22)00641-4/fulltext